Obtaining an Aviation Medical

The type of aeroplane licence you wish to gain will dictate the type of medical clearance you will need to obtain.  Students seeking to fly under a Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL), and only carry one passenger, may apply for a Recreational Aviation Medical Practitioners Certificate. To carry more passengers, a Class 2 or higher medical is required.

A student wishing to obtain a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) will only need to hold a Class 2 medical, which is valid for four years for applicants less than 40 years of age. If you wish to obtain a Commercial Pilot’s license (CPL) and exercise the privileges of that license, then you must obtain a Class 1 medical which is valid for one year.

Most of the time, as long as you have good general health, obtaining the medical certificate you require for your training is not an issue. However it’s better to make sure at the start of your training that you will be able to hold the relevant medical for the purpose of your training, rather than find out you will never be permitted to operate an aircraft on your own half way through your program.

Only certain doctors designated by CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) can do the relevant checks. These DAME’s (Designated Aviation Medical Examiners), like other GP’s, work with specialist doctors where more in-depth assessments and testing may be required.

Below is a link answering in more detail a range of Medical questions frequently asked.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority – Medical certificate FAQs

CASA also offers a directory to assist with locating a DAME close to you.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority – Search for a medical examiner